Fairly complete records exist for “issued” equipment from the Augusta Arsenal. 2,914 Sets of cavalry equipment (some may be English) 138 Sets NEW English cavalry equipment 63 Sets 2nd hand English cavalry equipment 1,062 Saddles (Leather) 475 Saddles (oil cloth) 1,423 Saddle Bags (Leather) 23 Saddle Bags (oil cloth) 1,439 Bridles 1,291 Halters 28 Halter […]
1861: Through the summer and fall of 1861 the great Confederate Powder Works remained under construction until it was officially opened in the spring 1862. The Arsenal however, having been previously a U.S. facility utilized this important time to expand those facilities and to contract for and manufacture some equipments, ammunition, powder, fuses and other […]
1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 Civilian Purchases, some manufacturing 1861 of various models Jenifer: 1862 – Aug 1863 **McClellen Aug 1863 – End of War
Sets of English Cavalry Equipments were sold to officer’s in great numbers from Augusta. The majority of these were sold as single sets to individual field officers, provosts, surgeons and Engineering officers for “their own use” but late in the war they appear to have been issued in larger numbers to unit commanders for issuance […]
Saddles: Jenifer, then the McClellan pattern with “webb sling girth”, crupper, covered wooden stirrups, saddle bags and some times a breast strap. Saddles made of cloth appear with regularity as an item of issue in August 1864.
Cavalry horse equipments shipped from the Augusta Arsenal include leather and oil cloth saddles, leather and oil coth saddle bags, bridles, halters, nose bags, moss saddle blankets, English “numnahs” (felt saddle pads), English saddle covers, horse brushes, curry combs, spurs, spur straps, bits and some artillery harness. These equipments were often issued in varying numbers […]
First established as a U.S. Arsenal in 1819, it was not until 1827 that the present site was located and the first buildings constructed. Augusta was used as a training and storage facility for supplying the troops in the Seminole and Mexican Wars. In 1844, it was also home for six months to Lt. William […]